Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Kurt Cobain's Self-Inflicted Pain

I am a fan of Nirvana. Though I don't know much of their history, it falls as most rock groups: grew up rough, became an "outcast", got famous, expressed their ridiculously rebellious ideas and their "I don't care" attitude. Not to express sympathy for their less than ideal childhood presented in description through the article we were required to read, but their story is no different than any other. But just from reading this article, is sympathy really due to these guys? They claim that what brought them together was the common flaw that they all came from divorced parents. And has Kurt Cobain claimed, it was devastating for him, throwing him into this state of seclusion. Again, not to express sympathy because my parents are still together so I don't know how that is, but I know plenty of kids who have gone through parent divorce and though it is traumatizing, some take it to the extreme more than others. Cobain's suffering didn't differ any more than the average teenager growing up. And I am not sympathetic at all to those who find themselves addicted to any kind of drug. he claims that a big part of it was to cancel the pain from singing and back pains caused by his guitar. Please. Spare me. Every addict has an excuse. I know plenty of bands who can handle the pain without heroin. Again, I am a big fan of Nirvana and their music and I sincerely enjoy Dave Grohl's band, Foo Fighter's, but to feel sympathetic for another rebellious, drug addicted singer afraid of the fame is simply ridiculous. Artists like that who dresses to be different, confide themselves in solitude and addict themselves to drugs and then publicly describe themselves to be all these things are only wanting others to drown in their self-pity. So get over yourself before you want others to sympathies for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment